Part 3 of a series that will run every Friday throughout 2012 as I discuss records that have affected me throughout the years – Flashback Fridays
As someone who grew up in the Philadelphia region and then moved across the country to the Seattle, WA area, I’ve had to combat a few stereotypes about Philadelphia natives:
- Yeah…we booed Santa Claus. Kind of a mean thing to do. But maybe he deserved it?
- We do not talk with a Brooklyn accent. We do not talk with a Boston accent.
- We are not generally mean people – we are loyal to those who are loyal to us, and call out people who are fake. Not exactly mean (and something that is hard to explain in the passive aggressive Pacific Northwest)
- Rocky Balboa is not a real person. But we have embraced him like he is.
- Will Smith is not “an actor who tries to rap”. Will Smith rapped long before he started his amazing movie career – and oh yeah, his name is The Fresh Prince